Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Paybacks

Posted by: San

My sister Nancy has been out of town for a few days and has asked me to "blog sit." How brave of her, considering she has this post scheduled for Friday.

Nancy is the the biggest instigator of practical jokes in our family. She is the queen of starting food fights, especially with cake. She loves to rile up the little ones, load them up with sugar and then say "See ya, I gotta go now." Oh yeah, all the little ones love her. But no one loves her more than I do.

While we were growing up, Nancy was my pain in the butt, always taking my things, tattle tale sister. It wasn't until I moved out of the house that we actually became "friends." After my first child was born she was my only trusted baby sitter. When my second child was born she stayed with me for two weeks and I cried when she had to leave. She has continued to be the one I can always rely on and trust to always have my back. I envy her quick wit, her sense of humor, her organizational skills, her ability to laugh at herself, to take chances, and her persistence to fight for her beliefs. I may be the "older" sister, but she is the "wiser." She is the one who puts the "fun" in our dysfunctional family.

So as my "payback" to Nancy, I offer the above words, which only touch the surface of the many more I have in my head and heart for her, and the following picture I recently came across...


12 comments:

San said...

I didn't know how to edit the "posted by" part of this page so even though it says posted by Nancy, it was really posted by me.

Anonymous said...

San,
What a wonderful tribute! But the little girls in that photo? Pure mischief!

Anonymous said...

That is such a great picture!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, we put on lots and lots of shows, too. LOVE the shows...

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I hope you have that picture framed and put away for posterity! ;-)

Michael said...

LOL, what a cute picture of you two. I haven't seen very many pics from when you were little.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

I love finding old pictures like that

Anonymous said...

What a priceless photo! I wonder if you were practicing how to curtsy or taking a bow at the end of a "show", or in Nancy's case, maybe mooning someone outside the window? The curtains behind you are a hoot, too....I think my mom had the same ones!
Nancy: Wherever you are, I hope you're having a great time!

San said...

LOL @ Karins' "mooning someone"
That same thought occurred to me

Anonymous said...

Love the photo Sandy. Nancy's like the sister I always wished I'd had. How lucky for you she's yours.

I can guess where she is. (sf)? Hope she's having fun.

Hope you're doing well. I haven't seen you in ages.

Anonymous said...

What a cute picture of both of you. How come you had cool patent leather shoes and Nancy had ugly saddle shoes?

dkuroiwa said...

Oh, Sandy...that was the most wonderful "payback" I think I have ever read! I always wanted a sister that was close to my age...but no..I got two stinky brothers...grrrrr. (they do have their redeeming moments at times, though).
That picture is priceless...the bobby sox and Mary Jane's...love it!!