Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

SHS 1973



That's the year I graduated from high school. My best friend since 8th grade Karin and I still keep in touch. After hearing about the passing of a classmate recently, she and I begin reminiscing.



Karin and I were too cool for school. We aced our classes, excelled at 1st hour breakfast, and regret our lacking in those bonded type friendships with others.

We didn't go to dances, proms, or school sports. Being "too cool" we had already entered into going to concerts and chasing bands at the venues in Detroit (sneaking of course) and attending pro-sport games. Especially Red Wing hockey. We hung out at clubs and bars (ignorance is bliss) instead of home parties and under the bleachers.

Yep, to cool. Sad part is, we missed out on all the too cool, fun, friendships, and bonding that stay with most through these later years. The passing of someone is a name and a face and a "wow, I can't believe it". But to conjure a good time, a fun memory of that person, well it escapes me.

There was one guy, John, that I secretly liked. But whoa! He was my age and in high school ... best to keep that crush to myself.

I just learned he is single and according to my source (thanks Sheila) he's still looking good. I called a friend of his and got his phone number. I'm going to call him tonight.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. I still have his senior pic he gave me. Is it fair to post it?

16 comments:

Sherry said...

What a poignant post. We look back and we see so clearly what we didn't see then...we loved what we were doing at that point in our lives but as we look back and we've reached this point..we can see places we might have done things differently. And we can learn from that as we go forward as well. I'm not sure how many people would actually want to go back and "be" the person they were 20, 30, 40 years ago. But we had to do those things because it made us who were are now.

Can't wait to hear how the phone call with the old crush goes...I'm curious about seeing the photo but he might not appreciate it...even if he did look good in it!! :)

Nancy said...

Sherry: I concur, our choices back then make us who we are today.
And yeah, I never post anyone's photo here without their permission.

Terri said...

who cares if it's fair? lol post it!

delmer said...

I am one of the more uptight guys you'll ever meet on the Internet. Having said that, I'd be fine if someone posted my HS photo.

(Although, maybe you should wait to see how the call goes. You don't want to jinx it.)

Michael said...

Post the pic!

Mary Alice said...

No. Don't post the photo without his permission, that's seems a little invasive.....and I say that even though I am dying of curiosity and would very much like to see it.....but alas my ethical side wins this round!

Nancy said...

Terri, Delmer, and Michael: I'm afraid as tempting as it sounds, I'm with Mary Alice.

But on a second thought, some HS photos especially 35 years old, look better than posting a photo of today.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I'm leaving you my first comment. I loved your blog today. I was just telling my girls at work how I'm living vicariously through Lindsey. I too was one of the "ccol kids" and wouldn't dream of attending any sporting function or dance. So now I go to Lind's games and chaprone her dances. While I wouldn't want to go back to 19?? I wish I had done things different. See you Thrusday

captain corky said...

Very nice! I can't wait to hear how the call goes.

Sunshine said...

I can't wait to hear how this turns out!

Jami said...

Get his permission - but if he doesn't want to let you post it, plead with him (and perhaps even offer some brief sexual enticements, if needed). We really want to see that picture!

FWIW, in high school I was one of those kids your mother told you NOT to associate with.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

how exciting... hopefully everything goes well with John, keep me posted.

Anonymous said...

Karin here---(I still haven't taken the time to figure out how to post without being "anonymous". Sorry!) Yeah, we were "too cool" for school activities and wish we'd taken part in more. But don't forget the fun we did have. Plus, I'm sure John is much more interesting now than he was back in high school. Can't wait to hear what happened. Good luck--and give him my regards!

Gledwood said...

I don't get American High School... (seeing as I never went to one...) it sounds like a nightmare all these jocks/cheerleading prom queens/EXTREME peer pressure the like of which you don't get over here. British kids are just the worst behaved in the world. The only peer pressure I think they get is whether or not to stab someone

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous" Karin again---I forgot to say I agree with not posting John's pic, but I did dig out the old yearbook and looked him up. I'd forgotten he was such a cutie! But then, I had a mad crush on his buddy Dennis (one of the ones who got away) [sigh]. I also didn't get to weigh in on the hair issue since I was out of town, but I always thought your hair looked best about chin length. Kinda like it was at my wedding (and yours to Paul). Very flattering to your face shape and all. Don't know how it would look with the bangs, though, since you didn't have them back then.

Nancy said...

Karin: Oh no, lol, I'd never discount or trade the fun we had =)

I just wish I would have extended some of it to include socializing with our class.