Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Oh Say Can You See ....


I received and e-mail with a photo attached asking me to pass it along to everyone in my address book. For the most part I usually hit delete, but sometimes things seem so odd that I go to Snopes (dot) com to check it further. That site usually has the scoop on what is true or false as to what is being passed along in e-mails.

I had heard on several occasions that Barak Obama opposed wearing a US flag pin lapel, no biggie, I don't wear one either. But as a candidate for United States President, you'd think the guy wouldn't mind (as long as he's standing there) honoring the flag with his hand over his heart and at the very lease mouthing the words to the Star Spangled Banner.

If you read further, this photo isn't a fluke, there is a video attached to disprove the possibility of it being photo shopped. In fairness they do show two photos of him covering his heart while our national anthem was played ... these photos were supplied the Obama campaign.

Since you might just go to Snopes to check it out, one other thing I like to point out is the explanation of how Al Gore was misinterpreted as claiming to have invented the internet. Perfect lesson showing that the choice of one word, used out of content, can change the whole structure and meaning of a sentence. Unrelated, I know, but I always wondered why the general public actually believed that Al Gore thought he invented the internet.

Even I'm not that gullible, and I am blond *wink*

5 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Oooof...not smart Obama. Not smart.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Oy. I wonder what he was thinking about that deterred him from the business at hand.

Angel said...

ouch! I love me some Obama, but not covering your heart? Um....and you want to be President? Why?!?!?! WHY??? I knew that something had to come out about him that was bad!...I still like him tho...

Mary Alice said...

Oh dear oh dear oh dear...that speaks louder than the scream that ousted Mary Alice’s boy Dean. Mary Alice has been reading too much Bossy and Mrs G and is stuck using third person…AND Mary Alice highly disapproves of anyone not showing proper respect for the flag. It is a little thing Mary Alice likes to think of, as common courtesy, in return for the liberties that the flag represents. Flag lapel pins? Those Mary Alice doesn’t care a fig about, but THE flag and THE national anthem? Very much so.

Anonymous said...

Eeeps. Not very good. I wonder how much damage this caused him.

The person who sung the anthem (in the video) didn't sing it very well. I thought the tunes were a bit off. Still, not an excuse to NOT put your hand on your heart. There's never a good excuse for that, unless you have no (functional) arms.