Pages

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Happy Birthday Shelia!

Today is my older sisters birthday. She is 34 days older than me. I know, sounds impossible. OK, well Shelia really is 34 days older than me and she is married to my brother Mike. It was years ago I forgot that she was my sister-in-law. Married to Mike over 30 years, she has earned her rank as sister in my heart. I could go on and on about her being a good mother to their son and daughter, about how their home has always been welcoming, how hard she has worked over the years, and how she has been a good daughter, sister, aunt, and mother. It is her being my brothers wife that makes me proud of her. It's impossible to summarize the many things she has done for him. She has taken great care of him and their children. There is no way to express the love I have seen her show for my brother and their family.

Recently Mike called me and told me how he was so moved because of something she did. He has had reoccurring kidney stones for the past 10 years and this year has proven to be pure hell for him. His doctor told him Shelia asked about donating one of her kidneys to him. Although that isn't an option, being told by his doctor of her request, he called me to talk ... he was so touched by that, so unassuming that she would make such a request. I had to smile, because 16 years ago when Mike was in a coma, Shelia and I and other family members were standing in front of his doctor. This brain surgeon was giving us bleak news, nothing we wanted to hear. I saw the look on her face as she grabbed the lapels of his $1,500.00 Armani suit ... as she got thisclosetohisface, she said "You will NOT let my husband die." She gave that doctor no other option. I don't even know if she remembers that, but it is something I will never forget. I don't think I have ever said this because we all assume too much in life but I will say it now, Shelia, I love you, you are my sister and I am glad that you are my brothers wife. Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said!
Happy Birthday Sheila!

Anonymous said...

Here, here! Happy Birthday, Sheila - miss you all!

Unknown said...

I am reading this a day late as usual ,always a day late and a dollar short. but thank you for such beautiful words and I do feel the same about all my lovely Kaser sisters. You have always been there for me and it is I who have been blessed to have all of you in my life. I have only read your blog 2x now and I have cried both times so can we try for just plain funny tomorrow so I wont have to cry again.