Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

Noah's Doomsday Vault

I guess I should be reading more than rag mags and blogs.

I never knew this was going on, did you?

Tunneled 400 feet into a frozen mountain on The Svalbard Archipelago, is a vault. It's the safe keeping grounds for seed samples from all over the world. They are in the process of getting this vault to a zero temperature. These seeds have the ability to be preserved for over 1,000 years. Food seeds, like barley, wheat, peas, etc.

Why? So when mankind succeeds at destroying ourselves, future, more intelligent, I hope, people can replant the Earth.

I never knew. Most countries have their own banks, but chances are they wouldn't last as long as this one. The one in the Philippines was wiped out by a typhoon last year. Iraq and Afghanistan had theirs wiped out in war. I'm impressed they even had one. Where is ours in the United States? Please comment if you know.

What else is happening out there in sci-fi land to preserve the ability of Earth to carry on after we decide to mess it up to a point of no return for mankind, as we know it?

11 comments:

Sherry said...

Well I did not know that!!! Then again...there are many things I didn't know (like the fact that Santa can't say "ho"!!)...I'm living in a dream world!!! :)

Desiree Eaglin said...

Walt Disney's frozen head will come back to life and lead the survivors to a land of perpetual childhood...
lol

Anonymous said...

I sure hope George Clooney left a deposit in the sperm bank...

linda said...

Unfortunately I did know this. It is a rather depressing thought that something like this may be needed. As far as I am concerned, when the world get to a seedless state - I am outta here!

Dixie said...

Neat! I didn't know that.

Joan said...

Your blog is so informative.

Michael said...

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth after reading that George Clooney comment.

Anonymous said...

Now if we were part of the elite of D.C., there may be a chance to survive and maybe beable to get to those seeds to see if they'd still grow 'LOL'..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6c1zoT99-4

Jami said...

We can't tell you where ours is. Darth Cheney won't tell us the "undisclosed location".

Nancy said...

"Darth Cheney"
Jami: Bwa-hahahaha, you crack me up, but damn, you called that right!

Audubon Ron said...

NovBlow&Go Renge Kyo
Only ten days left
Not much mo to go

The “Big Duck” checking in.

I guess I either need to start my own sperm bank or find one 400' under the earth. I always wondered what it would be like if the big one hit and I was the only man left standing and the only women left standing were flight attendants. They’d probably go Dionysus Amazon on me.