Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Have a Confession



I have a third child.



I know I have only talked about Bryan and Caitlin, but that's because I don't see my third child very often. This child is the oldest and was around quit a bit when Bryan and Caitlin were small.

I had very little control over this kid and I admit, I was content when this child wasn't in the house. As Bryan and Caitlin got older, we saw less and less of this oldest sibling. This kid would come and go on a whim, but when the three of them were in the house .... well it was chaos.

After Bryan moved out, there were very few visits from this kid. Since Caitlin has moved out, I had almost forgotten about the fact that I had three children .... until last night.

I don't know when, but that kid must have come home when I wasn't there.

I have my TV, DVD player, CD player, and receiver all hooked up and controlled by one remote controller. ( I have some testosterone in that department) I am anal about cords and wires. All my cords are neatly rolled up and secured with a zip tie. They lay flat behind each unit and fit snug to the wall.

I loaded 5 discs in the CD player, hit the remote and nothing. No power, no CD player, nothing. After forever, trying to get it to work, I pulled the unit away from the wall.

This is what I found:


There was an extra cable cord, not attached to anything. There was a power cord plugged into the wall, but going into nothing. Proof, hands down, no doubt ... that kid was back.

You probably are wondering what this kid's name is.

My mystery child has a couple names ...

"Not Me" ... "I didn't do it" or "I don't know"

When ever something went wrong, got broken, or came up missing, I'd ask Bryan and Caitlin,

"Who did this?"

That's when I became aware I had a third child.

16 comments:

Angel said...

Damn, I guess that means I have SIX kids now!!! Cuz we have a kid by that very same name in our house...can't stand that kid.

Jami said...

We kept our third's name short: "What?"

Anonymous said...

I did a double take on the post. Actually triple.

You're funny :-)

Jen said...

Oh no you didn't. I was in total shock at first...you totally had me. Jerk ;)

Joan said...

You had me going there about the 3rd child. Recently I was blaming my kids for things then caught the cat doing them.

Audubon Ron said...

Mommy, I'm home.

Anonymous said...

Was it Quinn who messed with the power cords?

Mr B

Anonymous said...

That was great!!!
In our house we had 'gremlins'..
I like the 3rd (or 5th or 15th what ever) invisible child better! :)

Sherry said...

This infamous "not me"...I had an imaginary friend when I was 3-4 and he did everything that was "wrong". It was great. Too bad my mom knew he wasn't real!! :)

Pink said...

This is hilarious - what a great writer you are!

I have a child too. She's illigitimate, since I live alone ;)

xx
pinks

Michael said...

In my house, it's the Tazmanian Devil (wonder who that could be!?!)

Queen of the Mayhem said...

That kids gets around! I think I have seen him poking around our house as well!

linda said...

Oh, yeah, I have a boarder in the house called Mr Nobody.

Don Mills Diva said...

Just discovered your blog - this is a great post. I'm looking forward to reading more.

delmer said...

I find it's a time saver to just tie cables and wires together when installing a computer. No matter how well they're laid out, they self-tangle in about 3 days.

It may have something to do with the current running through the wires. Of course, it could just as easily be the third child.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

This reminds me of Bill Cosby who said in one of his performances he doesn't consider people with only one child parents because they know who did it. They don't have to ask who put the vick's on the cheez-its.