Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

The Hunt and The Kill

Last May, I posted about my Bombay Sapphire Martini glass collection.

All these collector glasses are released in the Christmas gift box, one glass with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin. I'm not a gin martini drinker, I prefer vodka, so I never buy the gift box. I usually pick them up on eBay.

The first in the series, 1994, was by Ulla Darni, famous for her stained glass creations. To find this glass is near impossible, and when I have seen it on eBay, it usually goes for anywhere between $80-$125, with a bidding war at the end of the listing.

So I just sit back.

And Wait.

Saturday afternoon, I did an eBay search for Bombay Sapphire glasses, but the only thing that came up were ones I already had. Then I ran a search for Ulla Darni. This glass came up. No mention of Bombay Sapphire.

No bids. Starting price was $24.99.

I bid $25.00 and hoped the fact the listing didn't have Bombay Sapphire in it would keep it hidden from other collectors.

I forgot about it until now, when I signed on and saw mail from eBay. Assuming it was a "you have been out bid" notice, I wasn't too excited.

Now I am excited.

I was the only bidder and won.

But now ... I need this one:

13 comments:

Michael said...

Jay and I are still perfecting the Bomb Pop martini recipe. Good lord I'm gonna have one heck of a hang over tomorrow.

John D. said...

I believe that calls for a vodka martini! Congrats. : )

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Very cool. Make mine with vodka too, and dirty it up with olive juice.

San said...

Hey, weren't you trying to think of something to put above your kitchen cabinets? Display your martini glass collection up there. Just make sure you use them once a week and they won't collect dust. I'll help. %~}

Mrs. G. said...

Good work, woman. Someone always snipes me at the end. I rarely win.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it awesome when that happens? I wish I could ebay like that more often. I always end up in the war. Unfortunately, I usually "win" for way more than I meant to pay or the item is worth.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I am completely addicted to Ebay. It is like an online version of crack...not unlike blogging!

Good luck finding your other glass!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a saketini? Yum.

Sherry said...

You scored a great kill on ebay!! Just shows that if you are creative you will find a way to get what you want/need!!

I love the sister's idea for display...and keeping the dust out. Sounds good to me...call me when you're serving!! I'm good with either gin or vodka...and there's something wonderful about a dirty martini too!

Audubon Ron said...

Love Bombay martini's. My kinda gal.

Candy said...

Ack, they're gorgeous. What a great idea for a collection! I just tend to collect empty bottles.

delmer said...

Congrats on your score.

I have friends who have picked up things on eBay by using common misspellings. I've never been that lucky.

dkuroiwa said...

That Ulla Darni glass is gorgeous!! Awesome that you really didn't have to work too terribly hard for it!!
I have to stay away from E-Bay...I can always find things that I didn't know I needed at way too cheap starting out...and then...the smell of competition grabs me and....whoa...slow down...I need to go now and breathe slowly.....
great glass.
:-D