Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Twilight, the Saga


I saw Twilight last night.

Humm, I really wanted to like this movie.

I've read the first two books, "Twilight" and "New Moon", but I'll wait until the next two, "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" come out in paperback to continue reading.

After I finished the first book, I gave it to my sister with a review of, meh, it's a "Harry Potter" for teenage girls. It's very predictable.

I do like the whole vampire theme, but I think I'd prefer to see a Laurell Hamilton or Ann Rice vampire series on film more than this Twilight series.

But, Twilight, the movie . . . . .

Books are usually better than the movie, and since I feel the book is written for a younger audience, I had hope the movie was going to be beefed up a little. Even if it was just in the special effects, but it wasn't.. The casting missed the mark, and the makeup was awful. Edward and Bella's characters are likable enough, but they lack in acting ability.

Still, I am glad to see a series, aimed at youth, without drugs, sex, or gangsta street violence.

Just your average high school vampires. With a side order of wolves.

8 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

These books are all the rage at the school where I teach. The girls are crazy mad for them.

delmer said...

I saw the guy who plays the Vampire on Leno a while back. He was funny and likable in an I'm-not-full-of-myself sort of way.

debra said...

#2 daughter, who is 17 today, loves the books. She and a friend were scratching their heads after seeing the movie."Why isn't she wearing pants?!?" they asked over and over...

Joan said...

I bought the whole set for my daughter for Christmas. I count on reading them myself.

Nancy said...

Yes, these books are so popular with the teenage girls. Good story, I just hope the next movie is done better.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Well, good for you for getting a movie in during Christmas madness --- that's great, if nothing else.

Ellie

Michael said...

Too funny...I'm overdue for a post and I was thinking of writing about True Blood, the HBO series about vampires. Although it's everything Twilight isn't - kinda creepy in fact.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

I enjoyed the Twilight series but I heard the movie was somewhat disconnected and more like several scenes from the book thrown together and not really a "story". I'm waiting for cheaper pay-per-view to see it.