Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Secret Santa

I know the whole point is to keep it a secret.

I'm having too much fun with it so I thought I'd tell you what I've been doing.

Most mornings, I stop at McDonalds (hush, I know) for a Yogurt Parfait.


I go through the drive-thru and when I get to the window to pay, I also pay the order for the car behind me. I ask the cashier just to tell them I said Merry Christmas. As I drive away I can see the cashier trying to explain to that person and the dumb founded look ... then they look ahead to my car with smiles and waves.

Something so inexpensive and easy. I'm getting a kick out of this and I hope it helps these people start the day off with a little smile, and a feeling of some holiday cheer.

Give it a try. I bet you'll feel just as good about it as the person in the car behind you.

12 comments:

dkuroiwa said...

You are such a sweetheart and what a wonderful thing to do!
Sometimes RAKs are just too good to keep secret...and yours is a good one!!

(Did you go shopping? I finally got it almost done...gotta love ToysRUs!! I'm exhausted though...for a culture that doesn't really celebrate Christmas, there sure were a lot of shoppers out today!!!grrrrr!!)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

How much fun is that. I drive by a physically handicapped woman every day on the way to work. She uses a cane, and some days, a walker, to get to the bus stop, and she's waved enthusiastically to me every morning for years. I'm trying to screw up the courage to hop out of the car with a gift for her, on Wednesday morning. You've inspired me.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely and thoughtful thing to do!

Anonymous said...

You're wonderful.

Bruce Johnson said...

From now on, I am getting to McDonalds before you and waiting. When you show up, I am slipping behinds you to get free food.

(never give away the secret...it brings out the stalkers)

San said...

As long as it's not a van with 6 kids you can't see sitting in the back waiting to place their orders- that is a nice, inexpensive way to "pay it forward"

Audubon Ron said...

Getting a yogurt parfait from McD’s is like getting oyster crackers from Dunkin Donuts.

Someone did that for me once. I got a business card with a lady’s home phone number on the back.

Srsly. (I’m such a stud).

Sugarplum's Mom said...

That is very cool of you to do. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Now that is 'paying it forward' and very thoughtful... ;)

Mackey said...

I often do it at Timmies.

Mary Alice said...

What a wonderful idea.....I'm going to try it today too. Thank you for being so inspiring!

Joan said...

my kids' youth group at church does RAK. I've been trying to be a nice driver - letting people in, etc. as well as not getting upset at all the idiots drivers out there. Yesterday tested my patience.