Pages

Friday, March 28, 2008

Table for Three, Please

He was tall, well dressed, and quite handsome.

He walked back into my office with confidence and a sheepish smile.

He pulled up a chair to my desk as I handed him our final invoice.

His shirt was crisp white. He was clean shaven.

He had perfect teeth behind his smile.

He reached into his suit pocket and pulled out a black leather checkbook.

As he looked down and began to write his personal check out, he spoke.

His voice was low and flirtatious.

He was left handed, and his precise script writing had the backwards slant that most left handed people have.

Before he dotted his "i" and crossed the last "t" ... he asked.

"Will you meet me for a drink when you get off work tonight?"

I answered. With sultry eyes and and a soft but assured voice.

"I will, if I may order two drinks"

He smiled. A big smile.

"You may order what ever you'd like"

I reached for his hand.

The perfectly manicured left hand with an expensive gold band on it.

And I accepted his personal check, the one that had two names on it.

I replied.

"Perfect, then let's call your wife and ask her to join us."

As he stood up, he never lost his composure.

He continued with his smile, looked at me and said ...

"Touche', well played."

25 comments:

Robin said...

Great piece. Very nicely done.

Michael said...

What a winner.

Casdok said...

Yes well played!!

White shoes...now theres a thought!!

Anonymous said...

Seriously? ;-) Good job!

Sherry said...

Really, really? Did this really happen? OMG -- if it did -- you are awesome and you rock (I always knew that!). And if you made it up as fiction -- well written and well played -- you get A+!!!

Nancy said...

sherry: LOL ... true story!

Candy said...

What a great come back. I wouldn't have been able to think of that until the next day.

I can't believe men still do that crap. AND with a ring on their finger.

Mary Alice said...

Oh.My.God. What a supreme ass hat. You were BRILLIANT my friend.

Susie said...

Very well played.... I am not sure I could have come up with something like that so quickly. You are good, you are better than good...

Anonymous said...

Hat off standing and clapping!!
You rock girl....

Jen said...

No. Way. Just when I start to feel guilty, thinking I'm too hard on men - BAM!

I cannot believe that! And well-played, indeed!

Mrs. G. said...

SNAP!

Biddy said...

*sigh*

men...

San said...

Ahh yes...that's what I miss about working at "the shop", getting hit on by all those sexy guys :::NOT!:::

Nancy said...

San: But you DO remember "snake eyes" don't you? LOL

B.S. said...

Wow- he sounds pretty darned difficult to resist! But you did it. My hat's off to you!!!!!

Hugs,
Betty

San said...

How could I forget? He was absolutely "hypnotizing" with those baby blues.
voo-do-dooooo-do-do
do.do.do.do.do.do.do

Joan said...

true story - wow. How creepy.

Sherry said...

So it's true -- you think so quickly on your feet!!! Tempting as it might have been, I truly, truly respect your values!!

As for the photo of you en famille in the sidebar -- rockin!! And nice to see San!! :)

Sunshine said...

Maybe another thought would be to ask that, if he wants to sleep with you, he has to use his wedding ring as a condom.

debra said...

well done, Nancy. And then???

Rick Rockhill said...

wow, well said. You are quick on your feet!

Whit said...

Hey, I'm not left handed.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he's done that before. You're response - perfect! Bravo!

delmer said...

Well played and well told.