Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sleep On It

(My sister sent me this photo/story)

This bridge is on the Old Donner Pass Highway.
It has
a spectacular view of Donner Lake and Donner Pass on Route 80.


A bear was walking across Rainbow Bridge (Old Hwy 40 at Donner Summit, Truckee) on Saturday when two cars also crossing the bridge scared the bear into jumping over the edge of the bridge. Somehow the bear caught the ledge and was able to pull itself to safety. Authorities decided that nothing could be done to help Saturday night so they returned Sunday morning to find the bear sound asleep on the ledge.


After securing a net under the bridge the bear was tranquilized, fell
into the net, lowered, then woke up and walked out of the net.





Napping, the new problem solver.


10 comments:

Biddy said...

oh. my. gosh.

that is so cool! i heart bears...especially smart, napping bears

Biddy said...

also, did they really expect the bear to hold on till morning?! that kind of makes me mad..

Robin said...

What a cool story, and fabulous pictures. That is one lucky bear.

Terri said...

wow; if only napping could solve all my problems! cool story!

Angel said...

thank goodness they figures out a way to save the bear!!! how cute that it fell asleep!

debra said...

File it under All's Well That Ends Well (with apologies to the Bard)

Candy said...

With all the time my husband spends napping, you think he could achieve something half so brilliant.

Jami said...

See? I have ALWAYS said that bed rest was the solution to most of the world's problems. Small problem? Take a nap. Big problem? Sleep all night. Ginormous problem? Coma.

Mary Alice said...

That was an amazing story. Military Man wishes he could have been there to help figure out how to rescue the bear.

Paula Lynn Johnson said...

I was so excited to see this! Not only is it a great story, but I grew up in Auburn, CA -- not far from Truckee. In fact, I caught my first rainbow trout fishing in Truckee, and Donner Pass is familiar to me from skiing.

Makes me miss northern CA!