Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Filling In For a Super Blogger

Hi I'm Joan from Southern Suburbia filling in for Nancy while she's living it up at BlogHer, mingling with all those celebrity bloggers. I'm so jealous and can't wait to hear the juicy details. Speaking of details, I don't think Nancy explained those pictures of handcuffs! She and I have been communicating probably 1-1/2 years. She regularly comments on my blog with sharp wit and good advice. I love Marie Millard and all the variety of her subject matter. When asking us to guest write, Nancy suggested we republish a post from our blog. It just so happens Southern Suburbia is 2 years old today. I decided to find an early post that didn't get much attention. I wasn't a regular reader of blogs when I started mine. It took about 2 months before I began having followers and I connected with others. Here's one I found actually mentioning the BlogHer website originally posted August 7, 2006 called "Generic and Unlucky":

Odds & Ends ... I got back from the beach Sunday. Needless to say, I was getting a little tired of that drive. It's good to be home. Work is a little crazy this week.
It seems my account at Blogher has a mind of its own. On a whim I put a picture of a girl scuba diving as my profile picture. I quickly deleted it thinking it was quite obnoxious. I attempted to put a real picture of me in its place but the scuba diving picture kept appearing each time I tried to upload its replacement. The situation continues. I emailed Blogher and deleted the scuba diving picture off my computer. I tried another picture. No luck. I'm either stuck scuba diving or as a generic image. It's as if Blogher is wanting me to be someone more exciting or resisting a real photo of me! Things happen which confirm times have changed and I look at life as a parent now. Last night we were eating dinner out. A young girl (around 18) sat down at the table next to us. I'll say it out right. She had big boobs. Her tight t-shirt read "Some Girls Are Born Lucky". I am pretty sure my husband and son agreed.

Note: She probably had handcuffs, too. Fast forward to the present and not much has changed. I still feel kinda generic and unlucky at least in the boob department. Nancy - I was honored you asked me to fill in and I look forward to your return!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading this post, I checked out your blog, Joan. Your honesty is refreshing, not to mention your wry humor. I'm with you as far as being a non-member of the "born lucky" t-shirt club, but don't you find it funny that our husbands chose to marry us not-well-endowed types anyway? We must have much important qualities, right? RIGHT?!

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on "Massage Envy." One just opened by us that I was thinking of trying out. I probably won't now that I know it's a membership-type thing. I'm not a joiner of ANY kind--just part of my sometimes contrary nature. ;)

San said...

Too funny about the scuba diving picture.