Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Immaculee Ilibagiza


I just found out that Immaculee Ilibagiza, a Rwandan holocaust survivor, will be speaking at my church, September 5th. I am excited to hear her story.

Surviving Africa's worst genocide, she speaks about hiding in a tiny bathroom with seven other women for three months. During this time, one million people were killed, including her parents.

It was 1994, she was only 22, a college student, home, just to spend Easter with her family.

Her story is about forgiveness, how she learned to embrace prayer, and begin a profound and lasting relationship with God.

I couldn't bring myself to see the movie, Hotel Rwanda, when it was out. I think after I meet her, I will decide if I can watch it.

If anyone in my area is interested in hearing her story, I'd be happy to have you join me.

10 comments:

Joan said...

Is the movie you are speaking of Hotel Rwanda? I didn't see it. I'm sure it will be very moving listening to her.

Nancy said...

Yes Joan, Hotel Rwanda. I heard she is a wonderful speaker. You're probably right, very moving.

Terri said...

Hotel Rwanda was heartbreaking but it is important for us to see these things that we are most unaffected by; to really appreciate our freedom, our police, our military and yes, even our government. Those people are amazing and I'm sure the speaker will be as well. Maybe I'll join you, which church is it again?

Nancy said...

Terri: It's Kensington Community Church, in Troy ... I live in Rochester Hills ... are you in this area? It would be great to meet you.

Mary Alice said...

That will be a very interesting and touching talk I am sure....will they video tape it, so you can add a link for those of us too far away to visit that day?

Glinda said...

Mary Alice: They always tape ... I will post the link afterwards =)

Molly said...

Thanks for the invitation. Although I am in northwest Indiana, I think that you are still some distance from me. I did hear a presentation in Indianapolis about child soldiers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. After that I did bite the bullet (so to speak) and watch both Hotel Rwanda and Blood Diamond. There are some horrific things going on in the world and it is impossible to make sense of these injustices.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

Well....this certainly puts my whining in perspective!

I can't even imagine what that must have been like. I can't wait to hear about the speech!

Angel said...

Ihave that movie but have never watched it...maybe I'll have to. This should be a really good service, so be sure and share all she talks about with us, the poor people who don't live near you so we can join you! ;)

Terri said...

Nancy, I'm in Trenton so it'd be a drive but it sounds great; maybe if you have the video link we could all check it out - that'd be great!